My name is Sylvia Gethicker, originally from Buffalo, NY, and now reside in Alexandria, VA, where I spend my days as the Director of Communications and Public Relations for VSE Corporation.
- One of the crazy highlights from my life is during 1998-2003 when I was a comedienne and emcee. I had to give the fun life up when I realized the bag boy at the supermarket was making more than me!
- My passion in life is helping the less fortunate. In particular, I really have a deep spot for people who have been deeply hurt by a loved one and having a really hard time recovering. Emotional pain is very hard to deal with and something we may feel is a “personal problem.” I recently began a non-profit called Loving Life Ministries which facilitates people to meet up with others who have been hurt and betrayed. Through guided discussions and cross support, those who have been in a rut slowly learn how to rise from the ashes and begin to live and love life again to its fullest.
- I retired from the U.S. Marines in 1997 and held positions as Spokesperson, Media Relations Chief, Public Affairs Officer/NCO, Community Relations Chief, Newspaper Editor and Marine Corps Combat Correspondent in places such as New York, Japan, North Carolina, Georgia, Washington, D.C, and San Diego.
- I received my military journalism education through the Department of Defense Information School and graduated from Ashford University with a B.A. in Mass Communications and Journalism.
- My Gator tie is with my daughter and son-in-law who both received their undergrad degrees and doctorates in Pharmacology. They live in Tampa with my two cutie-pie granddaughters. My son also lives in Tampa and works at the Hard Rock.
- My youngest daughter just graduated from high school. We share a common passion for the theater and one of my highlights was seeing her cast recently as the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz!
- For “funzies” I like to coddle my two old dogs and three cool cats, do crossword puzzles, try new recipes, travel, watch movies and most importantly – laugh as often as possible!
- The primary reason I’m taking social media classes is stay abreast of the cutting edge offerings and strategies in an ever-changing social media landscape.
More in about me
Thanks so much for letting me share…let’s have fun in class!