Important Note: The entries below are NOT real and have only been developed for instructional purposes only. The following is an academic exercise for graduate social media students at the University of Florida.
Social Media Exercise Goals
It’s no surprise that because of the sheer number of people who visit Disney theme parks and attractions each year, most families know how critical it is to internet plan their trip extensively, usually months in advance to their visit to Orlando. For this exercise we will be solely focusing on Disney’s Epcot. To assist newcomers, as well as those who know Epcot like the back of their hand, an integrated marketing communications plan needs to be developed and in place. The primary goal of the plan is to feature compelling content to aptly and effectively communicate to prospective clientele in multiple communication channels for the month of April 2015 Disney Epcot’s:
- Special events
- Flower and Garden festival
- Featured promotions
- Entertainment lineup
- Lodging specials
- Restaurant and eatery highlights
- Featured shopping
- Other key information/announcements surrounding park operations
To add some compelling content for April, during the last week in March we went to Epcot and set up a booth and video interviewed hundreds of park attendees in “Epcot in a minute!” which features what they like best about Epcot. Afterwards, we assisted people who wanted to post the videos to their Facebook accounts at the booth. We screened for the best videos and feature many during April’s calendar.
April 1 (April Fool’sDay) [Facebook] Don’t be an April Fool! Come to Disney to celebrate spring with millions of blooms at Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.! Epcot is also home to new topiaries, including Anna and Elsa from “Frozen,” plus brand-new renditions of Chip and Dale in the “Goofy in Spring” garden near the entrance of the theme park. In addition, 11 “outdoor kitchens” are now up for business around World Showcase. Don’t forget our Garden Rocks concert series that cranks up every Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the festival. Up first: Gin Blossoms. Performances are at 5:30 p.m., 6:45 p.m. and 8 p.m. each night.
[Twitter with same picture above] Don’t be an April Fool! Celebrate spring by coming to Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.! #Epcot #Disney
April 2 [Twitter- featuring video] 40 reasons in 40 seconds why Epcot’s Flower & Garden is AWESOME!!! #Epcot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaFl_aOpr10
April 3 (Good Friday) [Facebook] We interviewed some of our Epcot guests and asked them what they like best about Epcot. Enjoy watching our “#Epcot in a minute!”
- Interview1 – (Alice, Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Interview2 – (Richard, Alberta, Canada)
- Interview3 – (Robert, Fresno, CA)
[Second Facebook post] Stop today at Intermissions Café Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival for a yummy selection of:
- Fruit & cheese plate
- Vegan trio
- Southwest chicken wrap
- Tuna salad with pita
- Side salad
- Asian tuna salad with noodles
- Cucumber and tomato salad (NEW!)
- Hurricane Class 5 White Sangria, Florida Orange Groves – St. Petersburg, FL
- Hess Shirtail Creek Vineyard Chardonnay
- King Estate Acrobat Pinot Noir
- Zonin Prosecco (NEW!)
- Floridian Hefeweizen, Funky Buddha Brewery – Oakland Park, FL (NEW!)
- Crispin Blackberry Pear Cider (NEW!) (gluten-free)
Intermissions Café is located at the Festival Center and opened only between Friday-Sunday from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
April 4 [Instagram]
Personalize Your Vacation With MyMagic+ Watch this video for more info!
April 5 (Easter Sunday) [Instagram] Enjoy Disney Epcot’s 51 full dining restaurant experiences including the San Angel Inn at Mexico’s pavilion…make your reservations today! #Epcot #SanAngelInn #MexicoPavillion
[Facebook] Happy Easter from your friends at Disney’s Epcot! Did you know that you can save 20-30% on select Disney Deluxe Villa Resort Hotels this spring and summer? Plus, get one more ticket day FREE when you add minimum 4-day tickets. This includes:
- Disney’s Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- The Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
Check out this detailed video that highlights Disney Resorts and Lodging, and transportation options https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olMuMmJ7niI
[Facebook] Become a Disney Visa card member and enjoy these Theme Park Perks
- Character Meet ‘N’ Greet at our private Cardmember location and savings on merchandise, dining and more.
- 10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more at select locations at the Walt Disney World® Resort.
- 10% off select dining locations at the Walt Disney World® Resort (restrictions may apply).
- 15% off the non-discounted price of select guided tours and recreation experiences at Walt Disney World® Resort.
Get a $100 statement credit after first purchase.
April 7 [Instagram]
Everyone Can Reserve Attractions in Advance with FastPass+
Enjoy this video knowing that some of your must-do experiences are locked-in before your visit—with the flexibility to change them on the go!
April 8 [Facebook] Refresh your sense of spring at the 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival—with fresh seasonal dishes, enchanting Disney character topiaries, complimentary presentations and more! We interviewed some of our Epcot guests and asked them what they like best about Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival. Enjoy watching our “#Epcot in a minute!”
- Interview1 – (Grace, Tampa, FL)
- Interview2 – (Abby, Sidney, Australia)
- Interview3 – (Tim&Jim, Dallas, TX)
April 9 [Twitter post w/photo] You deserve a refreshing blueberry pomegranate margarita at Epcot’s La Cava del Tequilla featuring 200 different tequillas! #Epcot #Epcotmargarita
April 10 [Facebook] Don’t Leave Home Without Your Disney Mobile App! Enjoy your trip to Epcot even more with Disney’s mobile app! You can lock in some of your must-do attractions and entertainment experiences—so you can relax and enjoy the moment with your family. If your plans change, you can:
- Update your FastPass+ selections on the go
- Check line wait times
- Get a listing of close by transportation options
- Make all your dining reservations
- See entertainment line-up
- Find shopping specials
- Park maps
- and much more!!
April 11 [Instagram] You have to come see for yourself the magnificent Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival! #Epcot #Disneyworld. In the meantime watch this video for a preview. All that’s missing are the wonderful flower aromas!
April 12 [Twitter w/photo and video link] Enjoy watching “#Epcot in a minute!” to see what Epcot guests around the world like best about Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival.
April 13 [Facebook] Don’t forget our Garden Rocks concert series that cranks up every Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the Epcot’s International Flower & Garden Festival. Crowd favorite the Gin Blossoms are performing at 5:30 p.m., 6:45 p.m. and 8 p.m. each night. Don’t miss it! Epcot has 28 entertainment venues…check Epcot Entertainment for great offerings like the axe-throwing lumberjacks from Canada’s legendary logging industries. Enjoy as they saw, chop and toss their way through time-honored games of the forest—taking place daily on the Mill Stage. Timber!!
April 14 [Instagram]
Epcot China Pavilion
Season your day by making way to Epcot’s China Pavilion for a garden-fresh take on spring-influenced flavors. Appease your cravings with a variety of Chinese cuisine and favorite beverages like Kung Fu Punch, South Sea Storm, Honey Mango wine cooler or Tsingtao Beer.
April 15 [Facebook]
Something Fresh Is Blooming at Epcot!
Discover dazzling gardens, seasonal cooking and high-energy entertainment at this spectacular springtime event. 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is sprouting and budding with fresh experiences for every age and interest. A few highlights blooming include:
- Locally grown topiaries featuring Disney characters
- Outdoor Kitchens with spring-inspired dishes
- A variety of vibrant entertainment offerings
- Freshly picked music at the Garden Rocks™ Concert Series
- Opportunities to learn how to bring spring at Epcot home
April 16 [Twitter] Start planning your trip to Epcot this summer which is Soarin’ with fun and adventure! Watch Epcot fan Mike Karschiti GoPro video #Epcot2015
April 17 [Facebook]
Personalize Your Epcot Vacation with My Disney Experience planning website
When you stay at a Disney Resort hotel, you can enjoy all that MyMagic+ has to offer—and get more magic out of your vacation! Reserve attractions in advance with FastPass+, receive personalized MagicBands and much more Enjoy Early Access to Disney FastPass+ planning: Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels get the opportunity to reserve some Disney FastPass+ attractions, shows and more – up to 60 days before they arrive! MagicBands: Your MagicBand is the key to unlocking the magic. Use your all-in-one MagicBand to access Disney theme parks, unlock your Disney Resort hotel room, check-in at the FastPass+ entrance for attractions and entertainment you selected, make payments at shops and restaurants and link Disney PhotoPass photos to your Disney account. Plus, as a Disney Resort hotel Guest, you can personalize your MagicBand with your name and choice of 7 iconic colors! My Disney Experience: Start planning the magic today with the My Disney Experience planning website or the free mobile app—both of which give you the control you need to create an incredible Disney vacation. Learn more about MyMagic+ benefits.
April 18 [Instagram] Epcot guests give tips on planning your trip to Epcot. Enjoy watching our “#Epcot in a minute!”
- Interview1 – (Freddy, Charleston, SC)
- Interview2 – (Kate, London, England)
- Interview3 – (Cheng, Singapore)
April 19 [Facebook]
We Love to Feature some of the best fan sites and this month we want to showcase host Deb Will’s AllEars.Net TV. Here is a great video featuring Epcot Characters Tips you don’t want to miss! Here are some other good links to AllEars.Net Epcot Character Spot Video: http://youtu.be/qc6uwBc3L8s Complete Information Epcot’s Character Spot: http://allears.net/tp/ep/epcot-charac… Character Meet and Greets – What You Need to Know! http://allears.net/tp/fur.htm Complete Playlist of all our Character Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLCGM… Character Tips: http://allears.net/rta/tips.php?q=Cha… Don’t miss a video – Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/allearsnet ♥ TWITTER! https://twitter.com/allearsnet ♥ PINTEREST http://pinterest.com/allearsnet/ ♥ FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/AllEars.net ♥ INSTAGRAM http://instagram.com/allearsnet
April 20 [Twitter]
April 21 [Facebook]
The 22nd Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival is in full swing with flowers and food until May 17.
For the third year running, the Festival will feature Outdoor Kitchens situated around World Showcase. The Outdoor Kitchens have been a welcome addition to the Festival, drawing a whole new crowd for the mammoth event. Reminiscent of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, the kiosks feature flavors of many of the World Showcase Pavilions. There are lots and lots of new things to try. A brand new Outdoor Kitchen debuted, Botanas Botánico is located between the France and Morocco Pavilions and features food and drink with a Venezuelan influence.
Head over to our 2015 Flower and Garden Festival Booth Menus and Photos page to see the full booth menus and FOOD PHOTOS of most of this year’s menu items!
April 22 (Administrative Professional’s Day) [Instagram] Hey Orlando bosses! Bring your staff to any of our Epcot restaurants for lunch during the weekday to receive 25% off your entire bill! Good until the end of April 2015! (Download coupon here) #administrativeprofessionalsday #epcot
April 23 [Facebook] Enjoy 20% off at all Stores at Epcot for all those who “Like Us” on our Disney Facebook pages. April 23-30 only! Click here for more details
April 24 [Twitter] Treat yourself to 10% off today only at any Epcot eatery during Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival! Retweet and receive 20% #EpcotRetweet #epcot
April 25 [Facebook] Teppan Edo is a Japanese restaurant in the Japan Pavilion in Epcot Theme Park where the spirit of authentic Japanese cuisine is celebrated through the culinary talents of Teppan Chefs cooking traditional dishes on grills at your table. Watch video! Journey near the Japan Pavilion during the 2015 Flower and Garden Festival where the annual ritual of admiring springtime flowers is in full bloom. From delicate bites to refreshing beverages, uncover how its spring-fresh flavors reflect the season. Some new treats this year at the Hanami include:
- Teriyaki curry bun – Steamed bun filled with chicken, vegetables, curry and sweet sauce (NEW!)
- Osaka salmon sushi – “Hako-sushi” box style sushi with salmon and rice, topped with dynamite, volcano and eel sauce (NEW!)
- Strawberry Nigori – Mild creamy sake infused with sweet-tangy strawberry (NEW!)
- Karatamba Honjozo Sake – Featuring a sharp, dry taste (NEW!)
April 26 [Twitter] Check out “Epcot in a Minute!” where guests suggest “must sees!” Look for the “Epcot in a minute” booth near the Marakesh to share your favorites! “#Epcot in a minute!”
April 27 [Facebook]
Everything you wanted to know about FastPass!
- Buy your tickets before you arrive and you can choose your FastPass+ experiences up to 30 days in advance of each day of your theme park visit.
- When you buy tickets in advance and book a stay at a Disney Resort hotel, you can make your FastPass+ selections up to 60 days prior to check-in for the entire length of your stay. Disney Resort hotel Guests also receive a MagicBand to make their vacation more fun and convenient than ever before.
- In advance, you can reserve up to 3 FastPass+ experiences per day at one theme park. After you use all of the initial FastPass+ experiences on the day of your visit (or your arrival windows have passed), you can select one additional FastPass+ experience to use that same day (based on availability). The additional FastPass+ experience is a rolling FastPass+ experience—each time you use an additional FastPass+ experience, you can select a new one.
- Additional FastPass+ selections must be made at a FastPass+ kiosk within the same park as the FastPass+ experience that you wish to select, and they can be made at a different park from your previous selections.
Any questions Annual Passholder? Learn more about Annual Passholders and FastPass+.
April 28 [Instagram]
Botanas Botánico – NEW!
Celebrate Latin America with a festive assortment of specialties, from refreshing snacks to zesty entrees. No matter your palate’s preference, take a siesta from your Festival travels and enjoy one or more of these all-new options! To eat:
- Seafood ceviche – Shrimp, scallops and grouper, with mango and avocado (gluten-free)
- Cachapa con queso – Sweet corn pancake with farmers cheese (gluten-free) (vegetarian)
- White corn arepa with braised beef and chayote slaw (gluten-free)
- Coconut tres leches (vegetarian)
- Polar Beer – Caracas, Venezuela
- La Tizana – Classic Venezuelan fruit drink
- La Tizana with Santa Teresa RHUM Orange Liqueur
- Monte Paschoal Reserve Tannat
- Monte Paschoal Natural Brut White Sparkling Wine
Please note: Botanas Botánico is located between the France and Morocco Pavilions.
April 29 [Facebook] It’s Great to be a Florida Resident during the month of May! Florida residents can enjoy Epcot and all other Disney Theme Parks for only $77 any day on May! Delight in:
- 4 thrilling theme parks and 2 splash-tacular water parks (valid theme park admission required)
- Exciting additions of fun, like the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom park and the Epcot® International Food & Wine Festival Presented by Chase® (valid theme park admission required)
- Unique recreation and shopping in the Downtown Disney Area
- Delectable dining experiences to satisfy every taste
April 30 [Twitter]
Florida residents watch 10 News and win 3-Day Disney Tix! Ten winners April 30—May 5 receiving Four (4) Disney 3-Day Tickets. #watchandwin #Epcot